Cerebro-spinal fluid in semen? (Was Re: breakfast ...)

Maureen Anderson maureena at sco.COM
Mon Oct 19 18:19:44 EST 1992

In article <crystal.719172200 at glia> crystal at glia.biostr.washington.edu (Crystal) writes:
>In <1992Oct15.052050.10038 at cssc-syd.tansu.com.au> pete at cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Peter Alexander Merel) writes:
>
>>I don't know if this is so, but I have a related question. I've begun
>>practicing the Taoist semen retention techniques mentioned in the alt.sex
>>FAQ, and just as described there I have noticed a fantastic increase in
>>mental alertness and physical stamina.
>
>It's not the physical techniques that are doing it to you.  It's the fact
>that you BELIEVE that you will get that result, and the brain is a marvelous
>tool in that if you believe in something strong enough, it will come true.
>If you think you are going to be ill, you will be, and vice versa.  Also
>known as a "self-fulfilling prophecy".

Thank you, Crystal, for that voice of reason.
I have a little "empirical" evidence of my own to relate:
I once dated a musician who was a Taoist dilettante and subscribed
to the belief that saving his semen would enhance his ability to
perform onstage.  It wasn't just a matter of saving energy, he
claimed that it also increased his awareness and musical dexterity.
He claimed that before he started the Taoist technique, he
needed a little coke to be really clear and alert...but since
he started saving semen, presto!  No drugs required!
While I couldn't argue with the value of cutting down on his drug
intake, this was clearly hysterical superstition, left over from
a time when they had lots of funny ideas about the human body.
But, no matter how much I tried to reason with him, he just
couldn't seem to see that it was a self-fulfilling prophecy.  The
one night that we (ahem) broke with tradition, he was so freaked
out on the way to the club that he of course gave a lousy show...
and blamed me for it.

[....]

>Well, I'm neither of the above, but then I started to answer this before
>reading it completely.  Forgive me for being the "wrong" source of info.
>I'm sure there will be others better qualified than I to answer, but I
>just could NOT let this go (since quite often, these sorts of questions go
>unanswered in public, and I *hate* seeing myths perpetuated...)

Me too.
I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with following traditions
and techniques that work for you, just don't get drawn into illogical
reasoning that belies modern medical knowledge.
If "saving semen" saves energy that you can then redirect into
other efforts, and you therefore feel better about yourself, fine.
But acknowledge it as just that -- saving *energy*.

                     Maureen
                      a.k.a.
                I Didn't Steal Your Semen!