Cerebro-spinal fluid in semen? (Was Re: breakfast ...)

Rob Pinelli pinelr at marcus.its.rpi.edu
Thu Oct 15 19:54:38 EST 1992

In article <crystal.719172200 at glia> crystal at glia.biostr.washington.edu (Crystal) writes:
>In <1992Oct15.052050.10038 at cssc-syd.tansu.com.au> pete at cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Peter Alexander Merel) writes:
>
>>I don't know if this is so, but I have a related question. I've begun
>>practicing the Taoist semen retention techniques mentioned in the alt.sex
>>FAQ, and just as described there I have noticed a fantastic increase in
>>mental alertness and physical stamina.
>
>>There are two rationales proposed in the Taoist literature to explain the
>>phenomenon, and I'm not sure that I buy either of them. The first is that
>>semen is 20% cerebro-spinal fluid, so if you ejaculate it your brain and
>>spine kind of sag, and that's why males want to go to sleep after ejaculation.
>
>I'm not a biologist, but this has *got* to be the strangest crock I have
>*ever* heard!
>
>Males (and females, who do *not* produce semen, BTW ;>) want to fall asleep
>afterwards simply from the sheer exhaustion that happens from the typical
>bedroom romp.  Sex is a workout, if you're doing it right. :>  Haven't
>you ever wanted to fall asleep after OTHER physical exertion?  The fact that
>you don't *usually* fall asleep after jogging or whatever has less to do
>with the exhaustion factor than it does being in a nice comfortable bed with
>a loved one in your arms.  It's more psychological than physiological.

   Actually, the way I heard it from my psych professor, the orgasm is a
function of the parasympathetic branch of the nervous system.  That's the
branch that serves to inhibit all of the excitory effects of the sympathetic
nervous system.  When you have sex, your heartrate increases, your breathing
increases, and a lot of other changes take place all controlled by the
sympathetic branch.  When you have an orgasm, the parasympathetic branch
takes over, flushing your vasocongested areas, slowing your heart rate to
normal, slowing your breathing, constricting your blood vessels, etc.  This
global "slowing down" mechanism is why you feel sleepy after having an orgasm.
Basically, everything in your nervous system is in a state of being brought
down from a higher level of activity.  That's not to say that you aren't
exhausted from the activity too!  In fact you should be! (If you did it
right! :)

--
  |||   | Rob Pinelli    |5\ "The future is not set.  There is no fate but what
 / | \  | pinelr at rpi.edu |18\ we make for ourselves..."   -Terminator 2
Atari ST| 203 North Hall |276\ "I don't patronize bunny rabbits!"   "What's
 Mega 2 | Troy, NY 12180 |7080\ your damage?"  "It'll be very!"  -Heathers