Any info on Zoloft?

Robert Swift BI599101 at BROWNVM.BROWN.EDU
Fri Oct 16 03:22:21 EST 1992

Zoloft, generic name sertraline, is a new serotonin reuptake blocker antidepres
sant. It is similar in action and side effects to fluoxetine, trade name Prozac
. These 5HT uptake blocking antidepressants generally have fewer side effects t
han do the usual tricyclic antidepressants. As for interactions with diabetes,
tricyclics may sometimes inhibit insulin release. I'm not sure about whether th
e 5HT uptake blockers have this activity as well. I should also say that I am a
 psychiatrist and find that Zoloft is effective and well tolerated in the sever
al patients of mine who are taking it. IIn the front of the PDR is the phone nu
mber of Pfizer which makes Zoloft. They will send you tons of information if yo
u call them and request it. I hope this is helpful to you.

                                                 Bob Swift
                                                 Brown University