breakfast and brain health

Dag Stenberg stenberg at klaava.Helsinki.FI
Tue Oct 13 16:43:54 EST 1992

rs69 at cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Rong Shen) writes:
: school who did not do well academically and all the graduates who had
: not received licenses for medical practice did not have the habit of
: eating breakfast. Since neurons are unable to metabolize proteins or
: other cell constituents, once the glucose concentration in the blood
: falls, the brain can not function to its full capacity.
:
Yes, but the liver can release glucose into the blood stream from its
stores, and does that quite effectively.

: its former glory. But the guy who posted the article about losing
: neurons in the lab instilled a vast fear in me: I am afraid that,
: having starved myself for four semesters, I have lost so many neurons
: that the dullness of my mind has become permanent, irrevokable by any
: healthy habits.
:
While regular eating habits are of advantage for full brain performance,
the risk of losing neurons because of not having breakfast seems slight.

Dag Stenberg, MD, PhD
Dept.Physiology, Univ.Helsinki,Finland