Neurotransmitter questions

Eli Brandt ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu
Sat Oct 10 01:49:06 EST 1992

In article <ringo.718380479 at craft.camp.clarkson.edu> ringo at craft.camp.clarkson.edu (Ringo) writes:
>LSD is a similar chemical to Serotonin, and mimics its effects.

Well, yes and no, literally.  I don't remember the hairy details,
but LSD acts as an agonist at some classes of 5HT receptors, and
an antagonist at others.  Niggling continues over the fine points.

Clearly neither 5HT agonism or antagonism is sufficient; consider
serotonin itself, and BOL.  Psychedelics' method of action remains
up in the air.

My theory of psychotropic drug research is that maturity in research
on a given class of substances occurs after both the "we don't know
what's going on" phase and the "they work by inhibiting catecholamine
reuptake. [or `by antagonizing 5HT', or whatever]" phase.  This phase
of maturity is characterized, of course, by a return to the "we don't
know what's going on" phase.  Only half in jest...

   Eli   ebrandt at jarthur.claremont.edu