Affecting hallucinations via other drugs

Allen Smith allens at yang.earlham.edu
Fri Oct 9 00:39:51 EST 1992

        Hello. I was considering the Hasashin (sp, I know), a group in the
middle ages of assasins whose loyalty was insured through an interesting
(and unethical) usage of drugs. The candidate was knocked out, placed in a
lush garden-type setting with women (it was all-men), opiates, etc.
available. They were then, after a fun time, knocked out again. They were
told that if they died while completing a mission, they would be
transported to this heaven forever.
        I started wondering what the effects of combining hallucinogens
and pleasurable drugs would be. In other words, could one influence the
course of the "trip" by taking other drugs along with it? (BTW, I'm not
planning on taking such a trip myself, as people familiar with me could
predict in any event).
        There are some combos that I'd suspect would be dangerous. PCP and
anything that acted like a depressant, including opiates, for instance.
Another would be that one hallucinogen that I believe (I may be
mis-recalling this) works via blocking enzymatic digestion of epinepherine
(Adrenalin) with any stimulant. Others? I don't know enough neuroscience,
brain biochem, etc., to predict.
        Thanks,
        -Allen

P.S. BTW, if you're taking it off of sci.med and sci.bio, please mail me a
copy; I don't have the time to read the other groups, I simply thought
they'd be interested.