map of the brain?

Steven M. Boker smb3u at kiptron.psyc.virginia.edu
Wed May 27 21:22:23 EST 1992

In article <9551 at spark.ed.ac.uk> lrtt at cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Toby Tyrrell) writes:
>In article <21880 at castle.ed.ac.uk>, pck at castle.ed.ac.uk (P C Knox) writes:
>> 	So even if we had the map you desire, how would it help? And
>> even if it were feasible to construct such a map (a project which would
>> no doubt carry resource implications) is it desirable in the first
>> place?
>
>I think such a map could be very useful.  Computational theories of what
>various parts of the brain are doing need to be backed up by showing that
>they receive the relevant inputs and can output to the relevant areas.  For

I must agree.  Although we must take such a map with more than a few
caveats, we must start somewhere.

Envision if you will, the maps drawn by Amerigo Vespucci.  Certainly they
were inaccurate.  Certainly they had large areas of Terra Incognita.
However, one must begin and boldly set pen to paper at some point.  Future
generations may have "Landsat" maps of the brain.  Someone daring enough
to write "Unknown" in large areas needs to take this task in hand and
perform a first inadequate 3-D connectionist database.

Certainly such a project will be crude, and will in many cases be misleading.
But that is no reason to ignore such a vital task.

Steve