network pathology and vivisection

Andrew Shires andrews at syma.sussex.ac.uk
Fri May 1 09:11:46 EST 1992

I'm about to start a dissertation on neural networks, and specifically in
the area of network pathology.  I'd be interested in hearing of any work
that's been done in this area, and if anyone has any real ideas on how best to
simulate damage to a network.  I've heard of the Hinton and Shallice paper but
that's about it.

I am under the impression that biological data in this area is collected from
willing human subjects who have suffered injuries, etc.  How much does this
area rely upon vivisectory data?  I'd be uncomfortable about taking this work
on if it involved the use of such findings.  Please, withold any flames about
my being concerned about this, but I am quite happy to hear people tell me
I can't get on in neural nets work if I'm unwilling to use such information.

Thanks

Andrew
--
Andrew Shires, COGS, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, ENGLAND
email: andrews at uk.ac.sussex.cogs    and    andrews at uk.ac.sussex.syma