Linear Algebra Anyone

Alan Edelman edelman at sylvester.berkeley.edu
Fri May 15 20:33:38 EST 1992

  Do Scientists and Engineers have any big linear algebra computing needs?

  I recently posted a survey form asking where the applications for large
dense linear algebra poblems arise.  In particular, I am interested
in huge linear systems and huge eigenvalue problems.  I received
NO answers from science and engineering bulletin boards.
  Should I conclude there is no need for large linear algebra software
by scientists and engineers?  If you are even vaguely aware of
such needs, I'd appreciate your forwarding this survey form.

  Thanks very very much.
 -- Alan Edelman
   Morrey Asst Professor
   Dept of Mathematics