map of the brain?

Toby Tyrrell lrtt at cogsci.ed.ac.uk
Wed May 27 13:09:56 EST 1992

In article <21880 at castle.ed.ac.uk>, pck at castle.ed.ac.uk (P C Knox) writes:
> 	So even if we had the map you desire, how would it help? And
> even if it were feasible to construct such a map (a project which would
> no doubt carry resource implications) is it desirable in the first
> place?

I think such a map could be very useful.  Computational theories of what
various parts of the brain are doing need to be backed up by showing that
they receive the relevant inputs and can output to the relevant areas.  For
instance, a theory that area X is calculating the position relevant to the
animal of loud noises would need to show that X receives inputs from the
auditory cortex or similar parts of the brain, and outputs to areas that
control orientation of the body.

Toby Tyrrell.
Centre for Cognitive Science,
University of Edinburgh.