inferior olive (?)

Nicholas L Cassimatis nlcassim at athena.mit.edu
Fri Jun 5 00:13:42 EST 1992

I recently heard a talk in which the speaker mentioned a part of the cerebellum
that sends inhibitory signals whenever there is some disturbance in motor
activity.  I believe he said it was the inferior olive and that the inhibition
was sent via climbing fibers.  (If I remember incorrectly, please correct me.)
Does anyone know the mechanism behind it detecting the disturbence?  i.e., what
constitutes a disturbance and how is this detected?  I would appreciate any
reply and any references.  Since my only exposure to neuroscience is a few
talks and Churchland's Neurophilosophy, I am asking for references that are as
accessable as possible.

Thanks.
-Nick