Creation of alt.consciousness

Jyrki Kuoppala jkp at cs.HUT.FI
Mon Jun 8 08:30:50 EST 1992

This is a proposal to create a group for discussions on consciousness.
Unless objections are heard or a better name is proposed, I will
create the group alt.consciousness in a while.

Topics include:

- nature of consciousness - where do they come from, what are their
  properties, who has them
- states of [ human ] consciousness
- various alterants: psychoactive chemicals, mind machines, sleep deprivation,
  fasting, sex, sleep, meditation, sensory deprivation
- altered states: hypnosis, trance, OOBE's, changes of perception,
  the religious experience
- do machines, children, animals, non-living things, humans have consciousness
- brain chemistry and consciousness
- brain magnetic and electronic action; measuring states of
  consciousness
- mind engineering: brainwashing, hypnosis
- consciousness altering and research techniques
- philosophical aspects
- quantum mechanics and consciousness
- influence of experiences to perception and consciousness

The sci.cognitive group is coming up, so it will somewhat overlap with
this - but I think the topic area is wide enough for alt.c...

I have directed followups to alt.config, though you are free to post
followups on other groups also as long as it's relevant for the group
you're posting.

//Jyrki