It is our pleasure to invite you to The 3rd International Conference on Synthetic Biology (Synthetic Biology 3.0).
The conference will take place at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich, Switzerland, from 24th-26th June 2007. The compulsory pre-registration is now open and you are invited to submit abstracts for oral or poster presentations by 31st March 2007 via www.syntheticbiology3.ethz.ch.
The Synthetic Biology Conference series has become the prime event for a rapidly growing scientific community at the interface between engineering and biology. After two hugely successful events at the MIT (2004) and UC Berkeley (2006) we will continue the tradition of exciting and inspiring meetings at the ETH. In the morning of the 24th, there will be several workshops on selected core topics of synthetic biology. The conference will kick-off at 2 p.m. with a keynote presentation from George Church (Harvard). Two other keynote presentations will be delivered by Tom Knight (MIT) and Hamilton O. Smith (Nobel Laureate currently at the Venter Institute) throughout the conference, during which we will explore the following topics:
1. Design of biological parts, devices and systems (including DNA-circuits and protein technology for synthetic biology).
2. Concepts for fabrication (including minimal genome efforts, large-scale DNA synthesis, fabrication beyond nucleic acids, expanding the chemistry of life, and microsystems).
3. Concepts for design (including theoretical foundations of design, complex network design).
4. Applications (including examples from chemistry, materials and energy).
5. Synthetic biology and the societal context (including public perception, education, safety and security, synthetic biology and ethics, and synthetic biology and IPR).
In order to guarantee a productive atmosphere, the conference will be limited to 300 participants and priority will be given to those submitting an abstract. Further information and details of the registration process can be found at www.syntheticbiology3.ethz.ch.
We look forward to seeing you in Zurich.
Synthetic Biology 3.0 Organizing Committee.