[Microbiology] Re: selection of topic for Ph.D.

HuskyPhD via microbio%40net.bio.net (by biovirus04 from gmail.com)
Tue Oct 31 03:26:03 EST 2006

Another thing to consider is what your professors are already working
on.  It's really only possible to work in a field that is currently
being investigated by professors at your university.  For example, if
you were interested in studying Yersinia pestis, but no one at your
school studied it, then you might have a problem.

Find a field that interests you, read some reviews, and get a general
idea of the current state of the field.  That will certainly provide
you with a starting point.

This is really the only help you'll be able to get from us.  Asking us
to help you decide what to do your Ph.D. on is like asking us to help
you decide what your favorite food is.  Ultimately, only you (and your
prof) can do this.

Alex B. Berezow, Grad Student
Dept. of Microbiology
University of Washington School of Medicine
Seattle, WA  98195