[Microbiology] Re: minimal medium for staphylococcus aureus (mrsa)

HuskyPhD via microbio%40net.bio.net (by biovirus04 from gmail.com)
Thu Oct 26 00:21:40 EST 2006

I don't know about minimal media for isolating Staph aureus.  Maybe
Judy can help us out here.  However, a very common medium for isolating
Staph aureus is "mannitol salt agar plates."  This medium selects for
pathogenic staphylococci, and differentiates between Staph aureus
(which turns yellow) and Staph epidermidis (which remains pinkish-red).

Check this out:

http://www.austincc.edu/microbugz/html/mannitol_salt_agar.html

I have the recipe, but I'm reluctant to hand that out over the Internet
(although I'm sure you can probably already find the recipe online).

--Alex

Alex B. Berezow, Grad Student
Dept. of Microbiology
University of Washington School of Medicine
Seattle, WA  98195