[Microbiology] Re: Differentiation of Enterobacter

John Gentile via microbio%40net.bio.net (by yjgent from cox.net)
Sun Oct 22 19:37:50 EST 2006

On 2006-10-21 18:09:25 -0400, IESELENE SMITH <pigpig5678 from sbcglobal.net> said:

> How does one differentiate between the various species in the
> Enterobacter genus (ie, E. aerogenes, E. agglomerans, E. cloacae, E.
> faecalis) ?
>   Thank you for answering.
>   IS.

I hope this is not a homework question. It is usually difficult to get
these down to the species level with great confidence. However you must
be able to read the biochemical charts posted in the ASM manual, or any
good book on bacteriology. The biggest culprit (IMO) is E. agglomerans
since it always seems to have some reaction that messes up a good id
for another species. I usually have had to resort to several id methods
(Vitek, API, tubes) to get to a species, and occasionally just gave up
and reported out Enterobacter spp.
--
John Gentile, MS M(ASCP)
Laboratory Information Manager