[Microbiology] Re: Measuring Rhizobium growth

Tom McCloud mccloud-tom at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 21 20:59:12 EST 2006

   As Bob has already replied, a common problem.   A technique long
used to give a crude approximation is Packed Cell Volume.    Put a
representative sample of your culture into a centrifuge tube an spin
it to give a tight pellet,  then estimate the volume of packed cells
(cubic centimeters) per unit volume.   Unfortunately, if your culture
media contains a lot of solids, this creates a problem.  And this does
not discriminate between live and dead cells.   Tom McCloud

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:46:17 +0300, gerchman at research.haifa.ac.il

>Greetings all
>We are trying to measure the growth rate of rhizobium in different carbon
>sources but encountering dificulties. The main issue is that in liquide culture
>the bacteria seem to create "flakes" rather then homoginios turbidity, so
>absorbance seem out of the question. We thought about vortexing the sample and
>doing CFU count. Anyone tried this before? Any other ideas?
>Thanks Yoram
>"Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have"
>This message was sent using IMP, the Webmail Program of Haifa University

More information about the Microbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net