[Microbiology] Re: Killing MOLD: Need an informed opinion

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Mon Nov 7 21:35:42 EST 2005

On 2005-11-06 22:23:31 -0500, "JEDilworth" 
<bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com> said:

> "Ian" <mold at prodigy.net> wrote in message
> news:9aubf.6560$Kv.709 at newssvr22.news.prodigy.net...
>> We've been having problems with mold in our house. Can't find the
> source
>> yet, but when I put a petri dish from the mold test lab out for even
> 10
>> minutes it starts growing all sorts of mold.

I agree with Judy - if it's that bad you need to get a professional. If 
there is a water source then that has to be fixed first.

That "dust" is actually billions of microscopic spores each of which is 
capable of growing up to be a mold colony. The only thing I know of 
that kills mold is 5% solution of bleach and water. It must be applied 
thoroughly and sometimes force needs to be applied to scrape away the 
colony - very dangerous without proper safety apparatus. And it cannot 
be applied only once - it needs to be repeated often.
John Gentile, MS M(ASCP)
Laboratory Information Manager
Providence, VAMC

More information about the Microbio mailing list

Send comments to us at biosci-help [At] net.bio.net