While we're on the topic... (was: How do you say E. coli O157:H7)

Scott Coutts scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Sat Sep 6 22:08:52 EST 2003

Bob wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:17:17 GMT, Scott Coutts
> <scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au> wrote:

[snip]

>>I'd be interested to hear what others think. Of course there
>>are lots of bugs that have this sound on the end, but here's an
>>example for people to give their opinion: 'pneumoniae'. We were
>>interested in the 'ae' parts of species names, not any other part so
>>the 'new' or 'noo' part is irrelevant. Here are the ways that people
>>in our department pronounce the 'ae' on species names:
>>
>>  new-moh-nee (or noo-moh-nee)
>>  new-moh-nee-ay (or noo-moh-nee-ay)
>>  new-moh-nee-ah (or noo-moh-nee-ah)
>
> I wonder whether some of those people even pronounce it consistently.
> Seems to me people tend to just punt when they get to such a
> combination.
>
> The third one is a familiar word -- just not this word.

Yes, I think the third one is definitely wrong, but a lot of people
seem to pronounce it that way!

> I think I lean toward the 2nd, but probably end up making it sound
> more like the first. Or maybe noo-moh-n'yay (where the last two
> syllables of your second one are partially slurred together).

Yeah, I use the second one. But a lot of people dont say it that
way. The bug I work on is hyodysenteriae, so I put an 'ee-ay' on the
end of it.

> How do you pronoucne Coutts?

Koots would be pronounced the same way. Rhymes with shoots. But I
get different versions too. People usually spell it incorrectly too (:

I'm pretty sure I can deal with the pronounciation of 'bob' (: