fermentation of coli and plasmid stability

S.Ballal ballal_sv at hotmail.com
Tue May 13 01:08:52 EST 2003

Dear Ede,

 I may sound stupid but are you really losing plasmids (I mean
experimentally proven or your are just worried about the possibility.)

With my(though limited) experience with E.coli with a set up similar
to yours(industry with expression of protein), we actually have
observed very little or no plasmid loss after fermentation in absence
of selection pressure. Though I know it differs from one expression
system to other. I am not sure it is a very common phenomenon with
high copy no. plasmids.  EK or DUNCAN  to comment please.

Some people feel that high growth rate causes loss of plasmids as they
are not able to partition properly in very fast growing cells. Though
I am not sure about it's implication in high copy no. plasmids.
Reducing the growth rate in such a case should obviously be tried.

Anyway discussion continues

S.Ballal
Indus Biotherapeutics Ltd.
Ahmedabad, India