pathogenicity

Md.Tanvir Rahman rahmanm at uoguelph.ca
Sat Mar 22 10:04:09 EST 2003

This is a reference of a review paper on pathogenicity of equine herpes
virus. Although it is old, but might be helpful to you!!

Walker C, Love DN, Whalley JM. 1999. Comparison of the pathogenesis of
acute equine herpesvirus 1 (EHV-1) infection in the horse and the mouse
model: a review.Vet Microbiol. 16;68(1-2):3-13

Thanks and regards,

Tanvir

Joanne, my at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk wrote:

> no. i'm sorry. i'm still very confused on this. i'm not very good at
> microbiology, but its a prerequisite in my course. i surfed the net just now
> to find out how they would describe the pathogenecity of a virus, and i got
> something like this:
>
> "PATHOGENICITY: Infection, occurs mostly in children, causing mild, usually
> nonfebrile, viral disease with erythematous eruption characterized by a
> striking erythema of the cheeks and a lacy red rash on the trunk and limbs;
> symptoms resolve in 7-10 days; 25% of the infections are asymptomatic;
> severe complications are unusual, but anaemic patients may develop transient
> aplastic crisis; intrauterine infection may cause fetal anaemia; severe
> anaemia in the immunosuppressed; protection conferred with development of
> antibodies. "
>
> i had an idea that it was supposed to be something like salmonella having
> exotoxins and sideropores to invade the host, or e.coli having enterotoxins
> that can deregulate cyclic nucleotide activity, as all this contribute to
> the fact that the bacteria is able to produce the disease in an animal. but
> according to the description here, it means i have to describe the clinical
> signs produced by the particular pathogen. so i am very confused.
> but thanks for replying anyway.
>
> "John Gentile" <yjgent at cox.net> wrote in message
> news:20030321210458227-0500 at news.east.cox.net...
> > In <3e7ba4c1_2 at news.tm.net.my> Joanne wrote:
> > > hi. i'm taking basic microbiology this semester, and i'm wondering if
> > > any of you can clear up something for me. what do you mean by
> > > pathogenicity of a virus? the dictionary states it as the ability of
> > > the virus to cause disease. but how do i describe it? for example, if
> > > i were asked to describe the pathogenicity of equine herpesvirus type
> > > 1, what am i supposed to say? i'm very confused. thanks
> > >

> > This concept will apply to bacteria also. We are all exposed to
> > microorganisms yet seldom get sick from them. You can quantitate the
> > number of people or animals who are exposed vs. the number who fall ill
> > to the infection. You can also quantitate the number of fatalities in
> > the population that does get sick.
> >
> > Does that help?
> >
> > John
---