pathogenicity

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Fri Mar 21 21:05:17 EST 2003

In <3e7ba4c1_2 at news.tm.net.my> Joanne wrote:
> hi. i'm taking basic microbiology this semester, and i'm wondering if
> any of you can clear up something for me. what do you mean by
> pathogenicity of a virus? the dictionary states it as the ability of
> the virus to cause disease. but how do i describe it? for example, if
> i were asked to describe the pathogenicity of equine herpesvirus type
> 1, what am i supposed to say? i'm very confused. thanks

This concept will apply to bacteria also. We are all exposed to
microorganisms yet seldom get sick from them. You can quantitate the
number of people or animals who are exposed vs. the number who fall ill
to the infection. You can also quantitate the number of fatalities in
the population that does get sick.

Does that help?

John