weird bacteria update

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Thu Mar 20 02:32:19 EST 2003

Thanks for all your suggestions, Judy!

JEDilworth wrote:
> http://www.wisc.edu/fri/annrpt/bcer2001.pdf
>
> This is an article in pdf format regarding Bacillus species that can
> swarm. This may possibly be what you're dealing with, as opposed to a
> gram negative rod.

It does stain the same color as E.coli. It may not be completely clear
from my pictures, but this is caused by bad equipment. So I find it hard
to believe it's a Gram-positive strain.

> It's very difficult to see colony morphology with all your colonies up
> in the inoculum area.

I couldn't do this since my object was to contain the growth in the
small area behind the red line. The point with this picture was to show
that I have managed to keep the bacteria from spreading.

After this picture was taken I did it once more on a bigger area, and
obtained distinct, single colonies. They all looked the same.

> Also, your gram stain looks more like a gram positive rod, if it is
> indeed a gram stain, as opposed to a gram negative. Are you sure you
> have decolorized adequately?

I have to admit I don't have a lot experience with Gram staining, but I
think I got it right ;) Anyway, as soon as I get the results from 16s
sequencing we will now for sure.

Trond Erik

--
Trond Erik Vee Aune