weird bacteria update

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Wed Mar 19 20:45:15 EST 2003

http://helios.bto.ed.ac.uk/bto/microbes/proteus.htm

I also found this source after I posted my other message, that Proteus
species can also inhabit soil, so you may have a non-clinical type of
Proteus. We deal mostly with Proteus mirabilis and Proteus vulgaris in
clinical specimens, and they are a pain because they swarm and cover all
the other bacteria in a specimen. Selective media of different types are
used to separate the bacteria from each other. Sometimes the Proteus are
very resistant and all efforts to separate gram positive bacteria out
from the gram negatives just doesn't work, even with media like CNA
(Columbia based blood agar with Colistin and Naladixic acid added as
antibiotics to suppress the gram negatives).

Good luck with your bug.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology