weird bacteria update

JEDilworth bactitech at nospamhortonsbay.com
Wed Mar 19 20:35:34 EST 2003

http://www.wisc.edu/fri/annrpt/bcer2001.pdf

This is an article in pdf format regarding Bacillus species that can
swarm. This may possibly be what you're dealing with, as opposed to a
gram negative rod.

It's very difficult to see colony morphology with all your colonies up
in the inoculum area. When you inoculate like that, take your loop,
streak out a couple of rows, flame and turn your plate, streak out a
couple of streaks, flame and do it again. It's the ONLY way you're going
to be able to tell if you have a pure culture. Then, each isolated
colony, if again subcultured, will yield a pure culture.

http://www.umsl.edu/~microbes/streakplates.pdf

Check out this paper to see what I'm talking about. This is how we
streak out ALL of our cultures from clinical specimens, so that we can
separate out the different species and subculture them for antibiotic
susceptibility testing and identification.

http://www.vet.uga.edu/erc/WEBFILES/graphics/GRNEG2BA.JPG

This is a streaked plate on blood agar of a gram negative rod.

Also, your gram stain looks more like a gram positive rod, if it is
indeed a gram stain, as opposed to a gram negative. Are you sure you
have decolorized adequately?

http://www.d2.dion.ne.jp/~tareryu/Bacillus-pumilus.gif

Here is a pic I found real quick through google.com images of a Bacillus
species. Most of them look like this on gram stain.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/EndoscopeReprocessing/images/page

Here is a gram negative rod, although the pic doesn't say which one it
is. I've found that Bacillus species are usually larger than most gram
negatives.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology 29 years