I've now done some more work on the bacteria.
The first picture shows a LB plate with 6% agar:
I spread the colonies on the area indicated with the red line. As you
can see the higher concentration of agar keep the bacteria from
spreading almost totally. A few colonies are growing just over the line,
but it's much less than on 2% agar. Also the colonies are forming close
to eachother, like continous growth, on 2% agar they would form discrete
colonies. The growth seem homogenous and it's not possible to see
What I've done with this plate after this picture was taken, is to
spread out some other bacteria perpendicular to the x-bug growth to look
at the inhibition pattern.
The next picture shows the glass plates after Gram staining:
I used E.coli for control. As you can see I had more cells with E.coli,
but the color is the same. It looks as my bug x is Gram negative.
I took a few pictures of the bug through the microscope as suggested
earlier, it was difficult to focus, but it should give some hints to the
stain and the morphology of the bacteria. All pictures are with 100x
magnifying and with oil on the lens.
The first picture is of the E.coli:
The next shows the x bug:
It's a little unfocused but it should be possible to see that it is
longer than E.coli. Much more stretched out. It also has the same color
as E.coli after staining.
The last picture shows the same:
Tomorrow I'll order the primers needed to do the 16s sequencing, and
hopefully I'll have some pictures of the inhibition pattern to show you