weird bacteria - Update

Artem Evdokimov AEVDOKIMOZ at cinci.rr.com
Wed Mar 12 00:12:02 EST 2003

"EK" <khatipovNO-SPAM at NO-SPAMuchicago.edu> wrote in message
news:_Pwba.89$M4.23827 at news.uchicago.edu...

> It is very much possible. I remember many years ago a colleague of mine
was
> trying to isolate filamentous phototrophic bacterium, and could not get
rid
> of the associated microorganism that was much smaller and, as seen under
the
> microscope, attached to the photosynthetic host.
> Emir

I am not doubting that it's not possible - microbiology has examples of
similar errors, and if you want to dig deep, biology in general has a fairly
spotted history (remember Aristotle's comical insects, or the
salamander/axolotl confusion ?) - I just do not think that the symptoms that
Erik is describing are enough to unambiguously claim mixed culture.

More data is needed :)

Artem