weird bacteria - Update

EK khatipovNO-SPAM at NO-SPAMuchicago.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:20:32 EST 2003

"Trond Erik Vee Aune" <trondaun at biotech.NOSPAM.ntnu.no> wrote in message
news:3E6D881A.10905 at biotech.NOSPAM.ntnu.no...

> Scott J. Coutts wrote:
>
> >> But how with this help me separate them? It'll only prevent the
> >> swarmers from spreading. I'll still have the two strains together.
> >>

> > Yup, that's the idea. I assume you know how to streak a plate to obtain
> > single colonies? I.e. streak an initial inoculum over  a section of the
> > plate, flame your loop, do a set of streakes coming from the first
> > incolulation point, flame the loop, set of streaks from first set of
> > streaks, flame etc etc.
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> So the idea is that as soon as the swarmer can't swim it'll form
> colonies? And the colonies I've seen so far is not from the swarmer, but
> the other strain, which is in some way travelling along with the swarmer
> and forms colonies a certain distance away from the others? This sounds
> abit far fetched ;) Isn't it more plausible that I only have _one_
> strain which have all this traits? This is a more simple solution since
> we don't have to try to find a reason for how the non-swarmer are
> spreading (not carried on the back of the swarmer I guess ;).

It is very much possible. I remember many years ago a colleague of mine was
trying to isolate filamentous phototrophic bacterium, and could not get rid
of the associated microorganism that was much smaller and, as seen under the
microscope, attached to the photosynthetic host.
Emir