weird bacteria - Update

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.NOSPAM.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 11 01:54:18 EST 2003

Scott J. Coutts wrote:

>> But how with this help me separate them? It'll only prevent the
>> swarmers from spreading. I'll still have the two strains together.
>>

> Yup, that's the idea. I assume you know how to streak a plate to obtain
> single colonies? I.e. streak an initial inoculum over  a section of the
> plate, flame your loop, do a set of streakes coming from the first
> incolulation point, flame the loop, set of streaks from first set of
> streaks, flame etc etc.

Yes, of course.

So the idea is that as soon as the swarmer can't swim it'll form
colonies? And the colonies I've seen so far is not from the swarmer, but
the other strain, which is in some way travelling along with the swarmer
and forms colonies a certain distance away from the others? This sounds
abit far fetched ;) Isn't it more plausible that I only have _one_
strain which have all this traits? This is a more simple solution since
we don't have to try to find a reason for how the non-swarmer are
spreading (not carried on the back of the swarmer I guess ;).

I'll do it anyway and keep you informed on what's happening!

Thanks for all your input!

Trond Erik