weird bacteria - Update

Scott J. Coutts scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 7 06:31:16 EST 2003

Trond Erik Vee Aune wrote:
>> I'd recommend the 6% agar trick first of all. It will also make those
>> colonies smaller, too. Spread them onto a plate.
>>

> But how with this help me separate them? It'll only prevent the swarmers
> from spreading. I'll still have the two strains together.

Yup, that's the idea. I assume you know how to streak a plate to obtain
single colonies? I.e. streak an initial inoculum over  a section of the
plate, flame your loop, do a set of streakes coming from the first
incolulation point, flame the loop, set of streaks from first set of
streaks, flame etc etc.

Otherwise, do a set of serial dilutions of your broth, and plate out
100uL of the dilutions on your plates. Some of them should end up with
very few single colonies.

--
Scott J. Coutts
  Bacterial Pathogenesis Research Group