weird bacteria - Update

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Fri Mar 7 05:05:21 EST 2003

Scott J. Coutts wrote:

> Did you see more than one cell shape in the stain? Could you post a pic
> of it from the microscope on the web (if you have the facilities)?

I could only see one shape. I don't have a microscope with a camera
attached. But I'll check with other departments.

>  > I'm still eager to do 16s sequencing, but first I need to separate
>  > them if there's more than one strain. Do you microbiologists have any
>  > idea to how I could separate them?
>
> I'd recommend the 6% agar trick first of all. It will also make those
> colonies smaller, too. Spread them onto a plate.

But how with this help me separate them? It'll only prevent the swarmers
from spreading. I'll still have the two strains together.

> I'm still not convinced
> that you have two types. Do you have a dark field or phase contrast
> microscope? (probably not if you're a genetics lab). You may see a
> difference in the motility if you can look at them directly.

I don't know, I'll have to check it up.

Trond Erik

--
Trond Erik Vee Aune