weird bacteria - Update

Scott J. Coutts scott.coutts at med.monash.edu.au
Fri Mar 7 04:47:16 EST 2003

Trond Erik Vee Aune wrote:

 > Scott J. Coutts wrote:
 >
 >> I agree that it should be stained.
 >

 > It took me some time to do the staining, but now it's done. I
 > compared it with E.coli. It looks to be gram negative.
 >
 > I've also tried to separate the "swarmer" from the "colony former" by
 >  inoculating from an area without any obvious colony growth and from
 > a colony, but without success. In both cases I get the same growth as
 >  described earlier. So maybe it is one strain after all?

Did you see more than one cell shape in the stain? Could you post a pic
of it from the microscope on the web (if you have the facilities)?

 > I'm still eager to do 16s sequencing, but first I need to separate
 > them if there's more than one strain. Do you microbiologists have any
 > idea to how I could separate them?

I'd recommend the 6% agar trick first of all. It will also make those
colonies smaller, too. Spread them onto a plate. I'm still not convinced
that you have two types. Do you have a dark field or phase contrast
microscope? (probably not if you're a genetics lab). You may see a
difference in the motility if you can look at them directly.

 > Actually a 16s sequencing would tell me if I have more than one
 > genotype. But it would be better to establish this before ordering
 > the primers. At least if there's an easy way to do this.

Well, even if you separate them (assuming there is actually two to be
separated), you're still going to need to order the primers... why not
order them anyhow (:

--
Scott J. Coutts
  Bacterial Pathogenesis Research Group