weird bacteria - Update

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Thu Mar 6 05:01:33 EST 2003

Scott J. Coutts wrote:

> I agree that it should be stained.

It took me some time to do the staining, but now it's done. I compared
it with E.coli. It looks to be gram negative.

I've also tried to separate the "swarmer" from the "colony former" by
inoculating from an area without any obvious colony growth and from a
colony, but without success. In both cases I get the same growth as
described earlier. So maybe it is one strain after all?

I'm still eager to do 16s sequencing, but first I need to separate them
if there's more than one strain. Do you microbiologists have any idea to
how I could separate them?

Actually a 16s sequencing would tell me if I have more than one
genotype. But it would be better to establish this before ordering the
primers. At least if there's an easy way to do this.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions!

Trond Erik