weird bacteria

Artem Evdokimov AEVDOKIMOZ at cinci.rr.com
Mon Mar 3 20:22:35 EST 2003

"Larry Farrell" <farrlarr at isu.edu> wrote in message
news:778ec8936eb5de880c3ff8fd89f3a03e at news.teranews.com...
> That would make loss of immunity protein production at such a high rate
even
> more difficult to explain.

Unless immunity (ore secretion of the biocin, or of the chemotaxis molecule)
is directly linked to some sort of exhaustible supply in the medium - via
either positive or negative feedback. I am not saying that this is very
likely, however barring the obvious contaminant or mixed-culture type
arguements, all the other explanations are about equally improbable.

There are bugs that naturally form very weird, fractal-like colonies (not
Nocardia otitidiscaviarum, and no, I do not refer to starvation-grown
E.coli, like here http://classes.yale.edu/99-00/math190a/Bacteria.html or
here http://polymer.bu.edu/ogaf/html/chp51exp3.htm). I don't remember the
species, but I used to know a guy who tried to figure out what caused this
and how this sort of colony shape was regulated. I am not sure if he found
out or not.

http://star.tau.ac.il/~inon/wisdom1/preprint.html ?

Artem