weird bacteria

Larry D. Farrell farrlarr at isu.edu
Sun Mar 2 13:51:19 EST 2003

Artem Evdokimov wrote:

> > Found in a water sample taken from the Ganges, India. I just testet a
> > little of the water on LB + glucose to see the microflora. It caught my
> > attention since it inhibited other microorganisms (a few mm of
> > inhibition zone).
>
> This is very interesting ! I would bet these bugs secrete biocins of some
> sort. If biocin secretion is associated with e.g. glucose in the medium, and
> if the bug is slightly sensitive to the biocins as well, perhaps this would
> explain the weird colony formation.

[snip]

Since all of the bacteria in the culture should carry the plasmid that codes for
production of the biocin, as well as the immunity protein that protects the
cells that carry the plasmid from the effects of the biocin, this is not a very
likely explanation.  One *could* propose a very high rate of spontaneous curing
but that is not consistent with maintenance of the plasmid and would have been
selected against.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology