weird bacteria

Trond Erik Vee Aune trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no
Sat Mar 1 07:12:11 EST 2003

Scott J. Coutts wrote:

> Where did it come from?

Found in a water sample taken from the Ganges, India. I just testet a
little of the water on LB + glucose to see the microflora. It caught my
attention since it inhibited other microorganisms (a few mm of
inhibition zone).

> You might be able to find a better medium for it
> depending on where you found it. You could try a more enriched media,
> maybe HBA or something like that. Maybe also try growing them
> anaerobically. It's just that often, if they dont grow very well on a
> medium, then instead of getting confluent growth at the point of the
> primary innoculation, you'll just get light growth or a few colonies.

The strange thing is that they seem to be growing fine. Fat, nice
colonies after one night incubation. But of course, maybe they could
grow even better on a different media.

> Remember that often bacterial spores will not look like fungal spores do
> - they will be refractile or differentially staining bodies inside the
> bacterial cell. They may or may not distend the cell. Have done any
> staining of these cells?

No, I haven't stained them. So maybe I missed spores while looking at
them through the microscope.

> What do the colonies look like, and how big are they? Would it be
> possible for you to post some pictures on the web somewhere, or in
> alt.test (I dont think people appreciate binaries on this newsgroup).
> Otherwise, I'd be happy to take a look at them if you want to email them
> to me. It sounds interesting!

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I've had a plate with the bug laying here
for a few days now, and every day they extend their growth about 1 cm.
Now they've almost covered the plate. But still they only show this
"distict colony" phenotype. Even at the place of inoculation there are
only separated colonies. But I can now barely see signs og growth
somewhere inbetween distinct colonies, so I believe they spread by
swimming on top of the agar.

> Do you know they have polar flagella just because of the motion of their
> movement, or can you see them? If you can see them, then I dont think
> they're bacteria. But the cell size sounds like bacteria.

No, I couldn't see the flagella. But I could see one end of the cells
twiggling as they whirled around ;)

> I'd definitely recommend 16S sequencing if you have it available.

I'll probably order primers next week, then do the sequence reaction on
whole cell sample (instead of trying to isolate chromosomal DNA).

Thanks for your help, I'll keep you informed!

Trond Erik