Identification og unknown bacterium from Ganges ("wierd bacterium")

Artem Evdokimov aevdokimoz at cinci.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 18:07:00 EST 2003

Hi,

Congratulations on the ID. Remind us, did your bug have flagella ? P. alvei
is supposed to be flagellated... It is a common beehive parasite if memory
serves right, it can be found on dead bee larvae. It sporulates with spores
positioned in almost ordered rows. Sorry to hear that your bug isn't brand
new...

Artem

"Trond Erik Vee Aune" <trondaun at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no>
wrote in message
news:3EAD0F42.2000002 at biotech.REMOVETHISBEFOREREPLYING.ntnu.no...
> Hi all,
>
> I just received the sequencing data of the "wierd bacterium" we've been
> talking about earlier. Unfortunately, the sequence was not very good,
> but I did get what I thnik is convincing results when blasting. I have
> pasted the sequence so that you can check it out yourselves if you're
> interested.
>
> Anyway, I got very good match against Paenibacillus alvei. According to
> web-resources this genus do produce different types of antibiotics as
> well as being able to swarm in different ways
> (http://ijs.sgmjournals.org/cgi/reprint/49/1/239.pdf). The strange thing
> is that it is not a gram negative bug as I thought after staining, but
> one of you microbiologists suggested that I was a Bacillus strain, so I
> guess we geneticists are much better at sequencing than staining ;)
> Anyway, I'm pretty pleased that I finally got an identification, but of
> course a little disappointed that it wasn't a new bacterium
>
> Forward sequence:

GGACGAACGCTGGCGGCGTGCCTAATACATGCAAGTCGAGCGGACTTGATGGAGTGCTTGCACTCCTGATGGTTAG
CGGC

GGACGGGTGAGTAACACGTACGTAACCTGCCCATAAGACTGGGATAACCCACNGAAACGTGAGCTANTACCANATN
GGCN

TTTTCCTCGCATGAGGGAAATNAGAAAGGCGGATCAATCTGTCNCTTATGGATGGACCTGCGGNGCATTATCTAGT
TGGT

GAGGTAACGGCTNACCAAGGCGACGATGCGTNCCCGACCTGAGAGGGTGATCGGCCACACTGGGACTGANACACGG
TCCC

AGACTCCTACGGGAGGCAGCAGTAGGGAATCTTCCGCAATGGACGAAAGTNTGACGGAGCAACGCCGTCGTGAGTG
ATNA

ANGTTTTCNGATCGTAAAGCTCTGNTGCCANGGAANAACGCCTAGGAGAGTNACTNCTCTTAGGGNGACGGNNCCT
GAGA

AGAAAGCCCCTNCTAACTACNTGCCANCAGCCGNGGTANTACGTANGGGGCGAGCGTNNNCCANANTTATTNGGCT
TAAA

GCGCGCNCAGGCAGNAATNTAAGTTGGGTGTTTAAACCTAGGGCTCAACCTTGGGNCGCATNCAAAACTGCATANC
TNGA
> NTACAGAAAGAGGAAAGNGGAATNCCNCGTGTTCCNGNGAAATGCGTANAGATNTCNAGGAACACNATTGN
>

> Reverse sequence:

GGNACCCCAATCATCTACCCCACCTTCGGCGGCTGGCNCCTTGCGGTTACCTCACCGACTTCGGGTGTTGTAAACT
CTCG

TGGTGTGACGGGCGGNGTGTACAAGACCCGGGAACGTATTCACCGCTGGCATGCTGATCCGCGATTACTAGCAATT
CCGA

CTTCATGCAGGCGAGTTGCAGCCTGCAATCCGAACTGAGACTGGCTTTTTAGGATTGGCTNCACCTCGCGGNTTCG
CTTC

CCGATGTACCAGCCATTGTAGNACGTGNGTAGCCCAGGTCATAAGGGGCATGATGATTNGANNTNATNCTCACCTT
CCTC

CGGTACTGTCACCGGCAGGCACTNTAGAGTGNCCAACTGAATGCTGGCAANTAAAGANAAAGGTTGCGCTCGTGAG
CGGG

ACTTAACCCAACATTTNACAACANNAGCTGACGACAACCATNCACNACCNGANTANAAATGTCCNNANAGAAAGCC
CTAT

CTCTAGAACGNNCCTTCATATNTCAAGACCTGGTAAGGNTNTTNCCGTTGCTTCNAATTTNACCCCATACTTCACT
GCNT

TTNCCNGCNCCCCGCNCGTTCCTTTTAGNTTTCAAGTCTTTNCGCACCGTGCTTCCCCACGCGGAATGCTTTAATG
ANTT

ACTTTCTNCCCCAAGGGAAATAGAAAACCCGNAATACCNAGTCTTNCTTGNTATACCNGCTNGGGCTTNCGGGGNA
TCNA

ATNCCGTTTGCTCCNNCTTCCTTTCTCCNCNTNNCNNNTNGNTNCCNCCCNANAGGCNNCTTCCCCNATGGGATNC
CTCN

CNTNCTCCNCTAGNNCCGNAAACTNGGTAAGAAGATNNTTTTTCTNNNAACNAGTAANTCTAAACGNACCACNNGG
GATN

GGNAAAATAANTAATANANANAGGNACTAGACCAAGNTNNNGAGATNNTACCNAAAANNAANTTAGGGATNAGANA
NAGN