High School Student aspriing to be a microbiologist

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Mon Apr 28 04:28:52 EST 2003

"Anton Shapiro" <antsh at sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:ms1ra.319$Jb5.226 at newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> I am currently a junior in a high school in San Francisco. I am very
> interested in the field of biology, and more specifically microbiology.
Next
> year I will be taking a course in biotechnology offered here at school. Do
> any of you have any recommendations about how I should go about pursuing a
> career in the microbiology field? Which universities to apply for? Thanks
in
> advance for any suggestions.

It's a wide subject. In what direction do your interests lie? Just to give
you an idea, you could do:
medical microbiology
environmental microbiology -  bioremediation, prevention of pollution
through bigger and better waste treatment systems, etc
industrial microbiology - novel products (e.g antibiotics), better products,
better priduction processes, etc
molecular biology - genetic engineering, etc
food microbiology - safer, better, etc
microbiology research - not everything of interest has immediate
applications.

That's just a small chip off the iceberg. Decide what field you like, then
pick your University as most specialize or perform better in one or two. You
could even look in relevant journals and see where the people with good
publications are working. There's some very good groups at University of
California, for a start.
Good luck!
Lesley Robertson
http://www.beijerinck.bt.tudelft.nl