HELP::Unknown Bacteria Identify!!

John Gentile yjgent at cox.net
Sat Apr 26 14:54:48 EST 2003

Is this an unknown for a micro lab course?? You're on the right track,
but look at other Enterococcus species.

In <20030426030957.5814.qmail at ww02.hostica.com> lgl_free at yahoo.com wrote:

> Thank first! I know that there are many Biology Nu Ren here in this
> board.
 Please help!
 I have an unknow bacteria. I did a lot of
> test on it, still don't know which
 one it belongs to.

 Gram
> positive coci, short chain,nonmotile, catalase negative,
 Growth at

> ph9.6 +

> NaCl 6.5% + (incubate for about one week)

> Sheep Blood Agar:

> Alpha hemolysis -

> Beta hemolysis -

> Gamma hemolysis +

> Aginie hydrolysis: +

> Esculin hydolysis: +

> Starch hydrolysis: -

> Hippurate hydrolysis: -

> D-Xylose: +(incubate for about one week)

> L-Rhamnose: -

> Sucrose: +

> Raffinose: -

> Glycerol: +

> Adonitol: -

> Sorbitol: +

> Mannitol: +

> Inulin: -

> Trehalose: +

> Beta-Galactosidase: +

> CAMP: -

> SXT sensitivity: R

> Bacitracin Susceptibility: -

> I suspect this organism is Enterococus. faecalis(70% confidence), but
> still
 not sure because it should be + in Hippurate hydrolysis test,
> d in alpha
 hemolysis,and does not ferment D-Xylose. I also can't
> cross out the
 possibility of Streptococus. porcinus.
 Please let