HELP::Unknown Bacteria Identify!!

lgl_free at yahoo.com lgl_free at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 22:09:57 EST 2003

Thank first! I know that there are many Biology Nu Ren here in this board.
Please help!
I have an unknow bacteria. I did a lot of test on it, still don't know which
one it belongs to.

Gram positive coci, short chain,nonmotile, catalase negative,
Growth at
ph9.6 +
NaCl 6.5% + (incubate for about one week)
Sheep Blood Agar:
Alpha hemolysis -
Beta hemolysis -
Gamma hemolysis +
Aginie hydrolysis: +
Esculin hydolysis: +
Starch hydrolysis: -
Hippurate hydrolysis: -
D-Xylose: +(incubate for about one week)
L-Rhamnose: -
Sucrose: +
Raffinose: -
Glycerol: +
Adonitol: -
Sorbitol: +
Mannitol: +
Inulin: -
Trehalose: +
Beta-Galactosidase: +
CAMP: -
SXT sensitivity: R
Bacitracin Susceptibility: -

I suspect this organism is Enterococus. faecalis(70% confidence), but still
not sure because it should be + in Hippurate hydrolysis test, d in alpha
hemolysis,and does not ferment D-Xylose. I also can't cross out the
possibility of Streptococus. porcinus.
Please let me know what's your idea. Thanks very much.

http://biowww.net/mynews/tree.php?group_name=bionet_microbiology&begin=0