Does anyone believe that SARS virus has several strains that evolve?

Bob xyzbbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 17 20:38:23 EST 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:21:50 -0400, "Great Weather"
<howcomethisdoesnotwork at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Some people think that since many young and healthy patience die as a result
>of the SARS virus that maybe there are more virulent or lethal strains of
>this virus, and that maybe its also evolving, or can evolve?

Of course, anything can evolve.

But it is too early to know anything. The first viral genome sequence
was reported earlier this week. I'm sure more info will be
forthcoming.

That healthy people die is not of any great significance; that was
also true for the 1918 flu, which actually preferentially killed
"healthy" people. But there do seem to be some people who are "better"
at spreading the disease than others, and one possibility is that
those people have a more virulent strain.

Patience.

bob