cyanobacteria and bio remediation

EK REMOVEem at NOSPAMunforgettable.com
Thu Apr 17 14:43:49 EST 2003

"EK" <REMOVEem at NOSPAMunforgettable.com> wrote in message
news:CeDna.46$W4.6619 at news.uchicago.edu...

> > show the evolution of oxygen from cyanobacteria in an
> > analogous manner that aquatic plants like Elodea are used. Has
> > anybody tried this or have any thoughts of how to do it?
> >
> Go to www.google.com or any other search engine, and search for e.g.
"oxygen
> evolution cyanobacteria bioreactor". There's a bunch of links you can pull
> out. Note though that cyanobacteria will also produce hydrogen gas in
> addition to oxygen, which is a potential fire hazard and might not be
> allowed for exibition purposes. Generally, growing cyanobacteria on
mineral
> medium with bicarbonate as a sole carbon source with high illumination
> should to the trick for you. Just attack the tubing to the flask with one
> end, and put another end in the beaker with water. The media compositions
> can be checked in original publications.
>
> -Emir

Check this out as well:
http://www.hnei.hawaii.edu/HNEI2001H2Rptfinal.pdf
I've seen the Tredici's bioreactor in work at HNEI and it is pretty cool.
Just to give you an idea of the issues you can face with making the
exibition.
More stuff on biohydrogen can also be found on the web. You can check the
portal at http://www.biohydrogen.nl/everyone , too, if interested.

- Emir Khatipov