cyanobacteria and bio remediation

Lesley Robertson l.a.robertson at tnw.tudelft.nl
Thu Apr 17 04:51:40 EST 2003

"Martin Weiss" <mweiss at nyscience.org> wrote in message
news:p05200f12bac362801daf@[192.168.1.80]...

> For an exhibition for science museums on microbes I'd like to:
>
> show some bacteria degrading petroleum either in tubes or
> petri dishes. Does any one know strains, time frame to show an effect
> and other conditions? Any other bacterial remediation that can be
> turned into an exhibit?

If you don't get any useful info, approach the US Environmental Protection
Agency. They did some work in this field about 10 years (or more) ago and
had rather a nice brochure about it - there was a tanker that ran aground
somewhere seriously cold - Alaska? It was their Georgia branch I discussed
it with, but I don't remember if they actually did the work.

There's a book you might find worth borrowing - "Microbial Control of
Pollution" eds J.C. Fry et al, 1992, publishers Cambridge University Press
(UK) ISBN 0-521-42078-4. It's a book of a conference on the subject and
includes oil, xenobiotics, cyanides, animal slurries, etc.

Lesley Robertson
http://www.beijerinck.bt.tudelft.nl