How animals in the hydrothermal vent can live with the high temperature.

Davin C. Enigl enigl at aol.com
Fri Mar 29 18:19:38 EST 2002

On Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:22:10 +0000, Jonathan Silverlight
<jsilver at merseia.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>If you're thinking of the paper I think you are (it's on-line at the
>PNAS web site) they _didn't_ find infectivity at 1000C but they did at
>600C. Their theory is that some inorganic matrix survives at that
>temperature but not at 1000C.

It was probably an NIH article by Paul Brown.  But, I heard a talk by
him for sure, I am not sure about trhe authorship of the article, --
not specifically PNAS.  It must have been a different article.  I sure
would like the read the PNAS article -- I tried a search, but I could
not find one with 1000C vs. 600C data.  can you remember anytrhing
more I can use as a serach term?  Thanks.

>BTW, isn't 2.0 M NaOH now recommended?

I think you are right.  Even then, we just discard surgical
instruments used on people with CJD, just to be safe.  We have been
doing that since the corneal-transplant problem, a long time ago.

-- Davin