urgent help please

Paul Taylor p.taylor7 at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jan 15 22:19:09 EST 2002

Thanks Bob. I guess this is what I really meant to say...

People on this list seem to do a lot of grandstanding (myself included I
guess) that is simply not constructive. It is relief for me to see someone
taking a slightly less confrontational approach. You sound like the right
sort of lecturer/instructor to have!

Paul

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:14:12 -0700, Larry Farrell <farrlarr at isu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Paul Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> I am ignoring my own suggestion and repsonding to this conversation..
>>>
>>> Perhaps it would be slightly friendlier to just ignore homework questions
>>> rather than berate people from a distance..which really does nothing but
>>> make us all look like a bunch of  angry info-hoarders.
>>>
>>> Still, something to do I guess...
>>
>> I don't believe that is serves any particular purpose to allow students to
>> continue in their belief that it is all right for them to expect others to do
>> the work they are supposed to do themselves.  Simply ignoring requests for
>> help with homework questions, rather than pointing out how such requests
>> defeat the intended purpose of the educational process, panders to that
>> belief.  If responding negatively to such requests is considered berating and
>> makes me look like an "angry info-hoarder," so be it.
>>

> I think all of you are on the right track, and I think replying to a
> "poor" post probably is useful. But perhaps it can  be done in a way
> that encourages the student to make a better post. There are various
> reasons for the poor posts, and some are more "innocent" than others.
> Getting the students to enter into a  dialog is good. (After all, when
> a student approaches us after class or in the office, their first
> version of a question isn't always the best. But we have a
> conversation.) Also, it is gentler to reply to the student
> "critically" by doing it privately.
>
> In this case, I had written to the original poster privately, with a
> (small)  helpful comment about his question, and he did reply
> constructively.
>
> bob

Paul Taylor
Microbial Ecology and Bioremediation Laboratory
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
The University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010

p    +61 3 8344 5705
f    +61 3 9347 1540