IUBio

acetobacter xylinum growth rate?

Mark Farrar micmdf at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 05:50:19 EST 2002

Emir Khatipov wrote:

> Or maybe you could use spectrophotometry at 540-620nm to measure OD of the
> liquid culture. I believe Acetobacter xylinum can grow in clear liquid
> media.
> Emir

This is the usual way of determining the specific growth rate of an organism.
lnOD (eg at 600nm) is plotted against time (h) and sgr calculated at a specific
point by dividing the change in lnOD by the change in time. This is easiest to
do in exponential phase (straight line) and will give you the maximum sgr under
those culture conditions. From this the doubling time (in hours) can also be
calculated: ln2/sgr. Remember that growth rate depends on many factors - temp.,
agitation, aeration, medium used etc.

Mark