IUBio

Fluorecent stuff on beach

Davin C. Enigl enigl at aol.com
Fri Aug 2 18:39:17 EST 2002

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 23:03:20 GMT, "Sverre Ulland" <saugull at online.no>
wrote:

>Hello there
>
>Tonight i was down at the beach for a walk. It was 0:00 at night, and pretty
>dark. I was walking down by the sea, occasionally getting my feet wet. After
>a while i noticed a certain glow in the sand i kicked in front of me. There
>were tiny speckles of greenish light which quickly disappeared. Soon
>afterwards, i saw that the same greenish dots were in the water too, at the
>very front of the small waves breaking in on the shore (quiet night, calm
>sea). What are those? My immedeate thought was that they were fluorecent
>bacterea, but I am not quite sure. Any thoughts are welcome.
>
>regards
>sven
>norway
>
>(manually x-posted on sci.bio.microbiology)

I have worked with salt water bioluminescent bacteria and I have not
seen them in a high enough concentration to do what you saw by
themselves, but it is not impossible (because they do attack to
floating particles and other lifeforms.

The only way to tell for sure is to sample and look under a
microscope.

I have recently worked with bioluminescent detritus living (or
sometimes dead) in the mesopelagic area at 200-1000 meters on the
bottom.  I don't know if that ever gets kicked up to the surface.

I also recently saw a satellite image of bioluminescent algae(?) or
was it shrimp(?) that was very noticeable,  floating at the surface.

--Davin