IUBio

Fluorecent stuff on beach

Sverre Ulland saugull at online.no
Fri Aug 2 18:03:20 EST 2002

Hello there

Tonight i was down at the beach for a walk. It was 0:00 at night, and pretty
dark. I was walking down by the sea, occasionally getting my feet wet. After
a while i noticed a certain glow in the sand i kicked in front of me. There
were tiny speckles of greenish light which quickly disappeared. Soon
afterwards, i saw that the same greenish dots were in the water too, at the
very front of the small waves breaking in on the shore (quiet night, calm
sea). What are those? My immedeate thought was that they were fluorecent
bacterea, but I am not quite sure. Any thoughts are welcome.

regards
sven
norway

(manually x-posted on sci.bio.microbiology)