Microbial lag phases

Mika mika1 at email.hinet.hr
Thu Sep 20 05:25:24 EST 2001

Dear Craig,

Lag phase is defined as a phase of sustained growth as a result of
environmental change for a microorganizm where it is getting accustomed with
new growth contitions.
It is a phase during which a number of m.o. does not multiply but lots of
methabolic activities take place as increased protein and  DNA quantity,
etc.
Therefore, I asume that your m.o. did not even went through lag phase (I
don't think that you can use the therm of a negative lag phase) but it
entered a
log phase of decreased growth (or dying) where the speed of
growth is negative (the phase is reverse of the 1 st log phase where m.o.
has an
increase growth).
So, I would skipp all the phases (lag, 1.st log and stationary phase) and go
right to the 2.nd log phase which presents a declined growth.

Miroslava Turina-Mihelj, B.Sci. in food technology