Ecology of Antibiotic Resistance

Larry Farrell farrlarr at isu.edu
Fri Sep 7 14:20:07 EST 2001

Dilworth wrote:

> For someone with that level of education, a $28,000/year salary is
> extremely insulting - sorry.
>
> A medical technologist fresh out of school with no experience makes
> around $37,500 in our area with benefits.  This is with a bachelor's
> degree.
>
> I realize the pay scale for grant funded positions in academia is lower,
> but really, that's absurd.

Unfortunately, not all *that* absurd when considered in the context of the
realities of academia.  Pay scales for hospital or industry positions are
not even minimally comparable to academic pay scales.  One of my former
students, MT(ASCP) for about 15 years who has B.S. degrees in both
Microbiology and Medical Technology, has been in charge of the lab in the
hospital right across the street from my building, where I have been
teaching for 29 years, for the past 3-4 years and is making more than I do.

It would be nice if postdocs (and *docs*) were paid better but this salary
is not really out of line with the going rates.  Yes, there are postdoc
positions in large research institutions in cities with high costs of living
that pay in the $35-50,000 but those are more the exception than the rule.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology